Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Project Knit-Myself-A-Scarf-Since-I-Can't-Knit-A-Sweater-Until-I-Have-This-Baby

hoodscarf1web

So as my New Thing To Do This Year I decided to start knitting again. Which is not so new, since I actually knit a fair amount this past year. But I haven't been knitting since last summer, and since we moved my yarn is a hopeless disorganized mess. And i was reading one of my favorite blogs, Green Apples and she posted a collage of all the lovely things she made this year. And it inspired me, specifically to knit more beautiful things for myself, because I know I will love and appreciate them and my life has been so overwhelming and full and stressful, and I wanted to give myself a gift. So Sunday, I picked up a new knitting magazine, a new pattern to work on and some new blue yarn. It's the Pfeiffer Falls Hooded Scarf from this Winter's interweave knits and it shall be my new mama scarf in which I will take long walks on the beach with my new babe snuggled up to me in a sling. Because new motherhood is so picturesque, right? Right? Anyway...I wanted blue because it is a hood, and it's a present to myself, and it will be worn when the baby is small, and so it reminded me a little bit of paintings of the Madonna and how she always is wearing a beautiful blue head covering. So far I've gotten the pocket and three repeats of the main scarf done. Today, my birthday, I spent the whole morning knitting at my parents house while Rico was at work. My dad made me pancakes and my sister came over with my little one year old nephew, and I sat with my mom in front of the fire and the Christmas tree knitting away and drinking decaf coffee. Which was almost as good as the real thing. It was the nicest morning I've had in a long time.

No comments: