Here it is, my obligatory introducing-my-blog post. Of course, knowing exactly what aim I myself have in writing this blog would help in introducing it, but the fact is, I'm not really sure what that aim is. I love to knit and will probably talk about it and share pictures, but I don't think this will really be a knitting blog. I love books, reading them and writing about them, but this won't really be a book blog. I read endless mom blogs and probably identify with them more than any other type of blog, but as I don't have any children, this definitely isn't a mommy blog. I guess what I want, and what really appeals to me about blogging, is the intimacy of it, the glimpse into someone else's life, that spark that makes you feel less alone. The form of communication, while quintessentially modern, is so timeless in it's slowness, it's attention to detail. The blogs I love to read are like letters from a good friend. In fact, I think blogging fills a void that the Victorian art of letter-writing, or the childhood idea of a pen pal left empty. And as a hopelessly nostalgic person, this appeals to me greatly. And so, having read many lovely or funny or thought-provoking letters from so many of you, I thought that it was time I sent some letters back. As none of you have any idea that I exist, I certainly don't expect you to read them. But they'll be out there. Posts (or letters) about my knitting, books I love, my yearning to be a mother, simple ruminations about my day--I'm opening myself up here. And as soon as I figure out how to make some of these blog friends people speak of (how does one go about that, please?), it can feel like a real correspondence. Until then, you can find me here.
On the bedside table: The Road by Cormac McCarthy
On the Sticks: "Climbing Lattice" dishcloth (Leisure Arts Pattern by Patty Kowaleski)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
That's exactly what a blog is, the opportunity to take a peek inside someone else's life,heart, agonies, and feelings. I tend to be pretty open about myself in my posts, and it is cathartic(sp?). I too love to read, but tried three times to learn how to knit. I am all thumbs. Welcome to blog world.
P.S. This link is not really me; it's my fake blog to comment on Blogger sites, many of whom do not allow anonymous comments.
Post a Comment